Saqqez Football Association Head Sentenced to Over Six Years in Prison

Sherko Hejazi, a prominent civil activist and the head of the football associat

12 February 2024 12:57


Hengaw; Monday, February 12, 2024

Sherko Hejazi, a prominent civil activist and the head of the football association in Saqqez, has been handed a harsh sentence of 6 years and 1 month in prison by the judiciary of the Islamic Republic of Iran. Additionally, he faces travel restrictions and censorship regarding writing about government forces killed during the "Jin, Jiyan, Azadi" movement.

According to reports received by the Hengaw Organization for Human Rights, Sherko Hejazi was convicted by the Saqqez Revolutionary Court, led by Chief Judge Javad Mostafaei. He received a 3-year, 6-month, and 1-day sentence for "participation in plotting and conspiracy against internal security" and an additional 31-month sentence for "membership in opposing groups," resulting in a cumulative punishment of 6 years, 1 month, and 17 days of imprisonment.

The harshest part of the verdict, specifically 3 years, 6 months, and 1 day, will be immediately enforced, taking into account previous days of detention. Hejazi is also subjected to a 2-year travel ban.

Furthermore, according to article 7 of the revised 2020 penal code, two-thirds of the most severe punishment may be suspended for 3 years under specific conditions, including non-interaction with detainees related to the commemoration anniversary of state-sponsored killings and regular reporting to the intelligence office, along with completing three educational courses on ethics and religion.

Notably, the verdict mandates Hejazi to write a biography of a government oppressive force killed during the "women, life, freedom" movement, accompanied by his personal interpretation, to be published in influential local media.

Sherko Hejazi was brutally assaulted during a raid on his workplace at "Shohada" street in Saqqez by intelligence services personnel on September 11, 2023. He was released on December 17, 2023, on bail pending legal proceedings.

During his detention, Hejazi was denied legal representation and subjected to severe torture to extract a forced confession. Last week, Hengaw reported that due to pressure from security entities, Hejazi resigned as the head of the football association, leading to collective resignations from other members in protest.

Read more on this context